Wednesday, October 17, 2007

General Announcements

Thanks to some serious teamwork by Aunt Sally and Jessica (a friend of hers, and the family, who is also Taiwanese) I've not only gotten my address sorted out but I also have a couple of solid dictionaries (I finally have one that I can look up English words in, so now I can start to get down really everyday vocab words like 'almost', that we haven't gone over yet in class.) Just for everyone's information my address is:



Room 405, 4F, No. 4, Alley 244, Lane 2, Sec. 3, Roosevelt Road, Taipei, Taiwan


My phone number is 0919644954. The whole thing you have to dial from the states is 011-886-919644954. I'm pretty sure. Skype is, I think, the cheapest way to call. I don't really understand it, but you use a computer to call a regular phone, and I think you need a headset too.


Also, I love it when people post comments. I pledge from now on, that if people post comments, I will respond to them, so we can have a regular old conversation (To post comments, you click on where it says "# Comments". Then you type what you want. I think to actually post it you have to have an account, but I don't imagine they're hard to create.)


Anywhoo, not a lot happened on tuesday. I went to class in the morning, then studied and wrote this in the afternoon. Then had a delicious tofu log and peanut sauce sandwhich for dinner. Then went to kick boxing. It was the most enjoyable part of my day. I like it more and more every time I go. We worked on a lot of defenzive moves today, then towards then end of class, we sparred some, and got to practice the defense we had learned. One of the blocks is for when someone goes to kick you in the thigh. You raise up the leg they are aiming for and turn it outward, to try to get their ankle joint to hit with your shin bone. Shin to shin contact usually happens anyway, and it is terrible (though we were wearing pads during the practice and sparring, I can only imagine how terrible it would be in a real fight). I really learn so much every time I go, and there is always so much more new that I can learn.

2 comments:

James said...

Jasper

I'm a bit late, but I did post to your earlier comment about music.

What is your take on football (AKA soccer) in Taiwan?

Me said...

I don't know. When I was looking for a place to run, I checked the sports center on campus. They don't have a track, and I thought they might have an indoor soccer feild, but they don't. Most of the indoor stuff they have is ping-pong, and badmiton. They have a rugby team, so I'm sure they have an outdoor field. If they have rugby it seems likely that they have a soccer team I just haven't looked for it. Most of the sports shows on TV (that I've seen) are baseball or occasionally pool. Taiwan has a lot of western influence, so I'm sure that there is a soccer community, but since I haven't looked for it, I haven't found it.