Monday, November 5, 2007

Saturday Number 2

One of my classmates just moved into a new house, so she had a sort of house warming party last night. For a while it was just Luke, Lauren, and I. Then a couple Norwegians (our classmates) showed up. It was pretty cool to talk to them. One of them kept going on about Dr. Ron Paul M.D. (I think that was his name, but I forget exactly), a candidate for the next presidential election. Lars was super stoked because America has a serious candidate for the presidency who wants to reintroduce the gold standard. After that we talked about how fu&*ed the American political system is, and then a bit about the Norwegian political system. My mind got blown again, but not quite so much as before. It was just a really unique experience.

Tonight I went out with the French girls again. It was pretty funny overall. Luke had other dinner plans, so he couldn't serve as the translator, and we had to communicate ourselves, which was a challenge. While we were eating dinner they asked me why I was a vegetarian, and I was pretty sure that last time I had told them it was because beef production is inefficient, so I decided to switch it up and tell them that it was because cows produce so much methane, and contribute to global warming. I felt pretty confident that they would have heard of global warming, so I tried to explain in English, but we caught a snag right away when they didn't understand 'warming'. I managed to get everything across (I think) and went on to explain how cows tied in to the whole scheme. I didn't say the word 'methane' because I was pretty sure they wouldn't know that one, but after I had explained for a while Estelle came out of left field and wrote down 'methan' on a piece of paper. I was stoked, and at the time I though she knew the English word 'methane', but in hindsight I think the English and French are just really similar here.


After we finished dinner we went out to 'Underworld'. It sounds like a crazy dance club, but it is really just a regular bar, in the basement. The music was some sort of combination of heavy metal and electronica. Estelle and Alice both hated it, and I liked it at first but after listening for a while it sounded more and more like noise. The band quit pretty early, so we were able to talk for a while. I think overall everything went well.



We are able to communicate, as long as nobodies in a big hurry. And they've both got a good sense of humor, so if communication ever breaks down completely everyone just laughs.

No comments: