Wednesday, November 7, 2007

"To Install"

In class today we went over the word for 'to install'. In Chinese it is really similar to the word for put, except for that it is specfically to put inside something. My classmates and I were having a hard time, so my teacher got out all kind of props, and had a sort of festival of putting things inside other things, and taking them back out, then putting them back inside again. She got a towel from somewhere, and for a while that and a bag were her main props, then she broke into her tupperware stash, and it started to get crazy.

On the way home from school, I saw someone sending text messages with their cell phone, and riding their bike at the same time. This isn't the first time I've seen it, and everytime I think about how reckless it is. Then I remembered I had to send this guy a text message, so I pulled out my cellphone and started biking and texting at the same time. Things were going well enough until I pressed end instead of the 'd-e-f' key, and lost the message. I decided it was too much trouble, so I re-stashed my phone.

A miracle happened the other night. In my rice cooker, I had been only cooking 2.5 cups (I don't think it is an actual cup measurement, my rice cooker just came with a cup, and I fill it up 2.5 times) of rice each time, but I would always have to make 2 batches. So, I decided to up the ante and cook 5 cups of rice in one go. Things got off to a rough start when I wasn't able to put the last 1.5 cups of water in the pot because it was already full to the brim. Furthermore, the pot usually has 2 lids on it, and this time one wouldn't fit on because the pot was too full, so I was a little worried about rice overflowing everywhere, but I decided to press on. The rice took so long to cook that I forgot about it, but then I heard the click when it turned itslef off, and I remembered. 1st of all, my rice cooker never turns itself off. I mean ... it is supposed to, but it never has in the past. Anyway, after it cut off, I went over to check it out, and found that the rice had filled up exactly to the rim of the pot. It couldn't have been any more even. I checked it and the rice was cooked, so I started spooning it out into my tupperware. I was worried that I would come to the point where I had dug deep enough and I would come to water that hadn't been evaporated, but I never did. The rice was perfectly cooked.