Wednesday, September 26, 2007

First Day of Classes

Basically all I did today was introduce myself 4 times. My first class is individual and my teacher and I just talked for a while, then reviewed a little. In my other classes I have the same two classmates. I will have only two other teachers (one teacher for one hour, and the other teacher for two hours), but one teacher is out so I have three other teachers. So in every class my classmates and I introduced ourselves, and the teacher taught a bit, but it was pretty simple.

I went to lunch with Ai Jin and a couple of other classmates. Afterward we had all decided we liked each other, and so everyone got out their cell phone, and we began the process of exchanging cell phone numbers. It all seems very silly to me, one person dials another's number, and then calls someone else so that person has their number, and its just a crazy confusing cycle of circular calling and dialing, and I bet it looks hilarious to other people watching the four americans trying to cross the street while all staring intently at their hand machines and repeating long strings of numbers to make sure everything is right. It may be a means to an end, but it is a very silly means.

I've decided I want to become a regular at a bar somewhere. Not drinking a lot necessarily. I just want to get to the point where when I go in the bartender just puts a TGM (Taiwan Gold Medal) on the bar, and doesn't have to ask. He just knows I like TGM. There is a bar about 55 seconds walk from my front door, and they advertise live music, so I thought this would be a good place to start. I got there at 10:00, and the band was already playing. It was a full jazz band, with 10-15 members, and it was loud. It was a pretty small place, and all of the tables were crowded into the center of the room, with only a little space on stage right (definitely not enough room to dance, though I don't think anyone would have wanted to). So I just sat a the bar and listened, and enjoyed my beer.

After a while the band took a break. I talked with one of the trombone players. He grew up in Eugene, Oregon so it was neat to talk to him. The band started back, and I hung around for a bit before taking off.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hello! This is Emma~TC told me your blog..haha seem like everything going well to you! Glad you like Taiwan and having fun there. I hope winter break we can meet you in Taiwan and you better speak only Chinese to me! HA:P

my blog: http://www.wretch.cc/blog/angina

Brian, Brain, B-town, Ginger, Mississippi Jim, etc. said...

Definetly a good idea to become a regular at a bar. Ive always wanted to do that.