Saturday, September 29, 2007

Underworld

Classes passed without event, except that one of my teachers has heard of Asheville. To be fair, the town isn't so famous that it made it all the way to Asia. She's taught in America, and she probably heard of it then, but I was still surprised. One of my class mates had heard of it too, but he goes to school in D.C. so thats not actually that crazy either.

Aijin had heard of this bar called 'Underworld', so we decided to go out there tonight. We got there at 11:00, and right after we walked in the band packed up and left, so we followed suit. There was another bar near by Aijin wanted to go to, and though we had heard that it catered mostly to westerners (a drawback), we went in to see for ourselves. There were quite a few westerners, and it was obvious looking at the drink menu who they catered to. As far as I can tell the drinks of choice, in most places, are sake and a couple of other types of clear liquor, whiskey, and beer. This place had all the different little mixed drink shots, and everything was written in English. I didn't like the bar that much but tequila shots were buy one get one free, and I'm just a slut for buy one get one free things, so I had 2 (total). Then we left. The last place we went to had an English name (Oldie Goodie), but we were the only people with white faces there, and there was a band, so we stayed. The bad was pretty good, but it really hilarious. They kept playing Chinese remakes of classic American songs. They played one that originally has Spanish lyrics, but they had changed these to something else entirely. A guy at the bar we had been talking to told me that the new song lyrics were neither Chinese nor Taiwanese, and they certainly weren't English or Spanish. Whatever they were it did sound good, and this place had pretty cheap beer, so I was stoked. Aijin and I closed out the bar, and throughout the night I learned the words for drunk, alcoholic, and rude. When they were telling us the word for rude, Aijin went to do something (I don't remember what) that would visually illustrate the concept of rudeness. He ended up hitting a glass onto the floor and breaking it, and everyone yelled at him. Yeah.

No comments: